SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Twenty Fourth Day Christmas Celebration

My Ward Party was held tonight at our stake center.  I am on the activities committee and had the chance to work on putting this together.  So the committee met for lunch before we went up to the building to set up.  The set up went really fast because of all the people willing to serve.  We had different people from the ward bring nativity sets to put in the middle of the round tables.  Our theme was "A Christ Centered Christmas".  So that was a nice touch.  I know people have done that before.  But it was still fun.

We had a nice dinner ready.  All the nativity decor looked wonderful.  After dinner we had a little program.  It was all about suggestions of things we could do to be more Christ centered.  So there were nine people who I had asked to share a thought and scripture about Christ, and then a suggestion about things we could do to focus on Him.  Then we sang a Christmas hymn that went along with that scripture.  Most often it was a verse we don't sing as often.  There wasa part when it speaks of how Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without children.  Then the scripture talks about Christ with the children.  So we sang the last verse of Away In a Manger where it talks about "bless all the dear children in Thy tender care".  Then I also had CD play the piano while Fred and Scarlett sang I am a Child of God.  It was so touching.  Everyone in the ward seemed to be touched by it also.  I had put a power point together with pictures of Christ that went along with the scripture and then also had the words to the songs so that everyone could sing together.  It worked out really well.

I was so thankful for all the people who were willing to help with the program.  There were many who read and shared thier testimonies.  Then Cheri's families help.  I didn't know this at the time, but I had asked this one senior missionary to participate.  He said he would.  Afterwards, he told me that this was the first time he had ever read something in public.  He has dyslexia and doesn't like to read out loud.  But he did it for this and he did a wonderful job.  There was one part of the program that I hadn't found someone to read and by the set up time for the party it still wasn't filled.  I had it on my list of things to do this week but never got around to calling the person I was considering for the part.   The person I was going to ask, showed up to set up her nativity.  But I didn't feel like asking her for some reason.   There was also a young man, a new convert, who was helping us set up tables and chairs and such. I thought that maybe I should ask him.  So I did. He thought about it and I could tell he was scared to do it but kind of wanted to.  He finally decided he would.  He came back to the party later that night nicely dressed in his suit and read his part beautifully.  I know it was the first time he has done something like that and I felt grateful that the Lord  had guided me to those who really needed to be a part of this program. 

The Spirit of Christmas really filled our celebration and I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment