SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Seventeenth Day Christmas Celebration

The festival of trees was going on this week.  My niece Annie was going to be dancing in it with her dance class.  So I went to see the trees but mainly in support of her.  The trees there were unique and beautiful and for such a good cause.  My sister, Lori, suggested that we do one for next year.  I think that would be a great idea and a good way to give of what we have to help those who are going through some hard things.  There have been those in my family who have needed the help of good medical professionals so I am certainly thinking of this idea.  I don’t think I have a favorite tree there.  I do just enjoy the beauty of Christmas trees.  When my tree lights come on there is always just such a mood it sets.  Don’t you remember decorating the tree after having painstakingly picked it out or cut it down and then turning off all the lights except those on the tree and having a little cum-by-ah moment? 
I have had a few funny experiences with trees I have picked out for my home.  When I bought my first house, I decided that I really wanted to go and cut down a Christmas tree to put right there in my front window.  I signed up to get a pass and then on one rainy weekend I took my truck up in the mountains of AZ and searched for the perfect tree.  I had my saw and my long bed truck to haul it home and was oh so hopeful about finding the perfect tree.  After many hours, I thought I came upon it and I took my saw to it quickly because it was raining and therefore wanted to hurry.  Once I got it back to my truck and tried to load it into the bed, I thought, “Man, this tree is bigger than I thought”.  I mean it even hung off the long bed of my truck a good two feet and it filled the immensity of it. It didn’t stress me too much because I was proud of my tall 10 feet ceilings.  “It will fit”, I told myself. When I got it home, I don’t know why I was surprised to find that it was about 2 feet too long.  I cut that thing down and bit and then cut it some more, and cut it again.  I just laughed all the way through that ordeal and through the wrestling of that tree into my front room.  That monster of a tree took up the entire front half of my living room.  It was hilarious, but it smelled so good and I enjoyed every minute of that big living tree.
The next year, I didn’t have the chance to go up to the mountains to pick out a tree and wasn’t even sure if I would get one.  But as I drove by this one Christmas tree lot, I was compelled to stop and see this very beautiful tall tree.  I had to just go and see it and I thought maybe I would pick up a wreath or something fresh.  While there the sales man was kinda flirting with me, so I flirted back and wouldn’t you know I got a tree for $5.  It was about 3 feet tall and perfect for me.  (Since my last tree was big enough to last me a lifetime- lol) He brought it to my highlander (I had purchased a new vehicle by then) and wanted to just throw it in the back, but I told him no way.  I wanted the full service and so I wanted it strapped to the top of my highlander.  He gave me the funniest look but did it anyway.  His look was nothing compared to the funny looks I got from drivers on the road as they saw me pass with my little tree strapped to the top of my car.  I laughed all the way home.  I hope everyone enjoys their trees this year.
Thinking of that story makes me want to sit in front of my tree with a “tummy warmer” in hand and ponder about all the trees I have had through the years.  BTW – a “tummy warmer” if you didn’t know, is hot chocolate, with a scoop of your favorite ice cream in it.  Try it.  It is a great treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment