SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Tenth day Christmas Celebration

Don't ya love sweets at the holidays!  I think they are given at the holidays to help us remember how sweet life really is.  So I made these hersey kiss cookies to day.  They are not your typical peanut butter chocolate cookies. (But I do love those, they are some of my favorite)  These are called orange dark chocolate blossoms.  They are low in sugar and really good.  I will post the receipe below.  It uses orange peel and dark chocolate kisses.  You should give these a try.  Especially if you are trying to cut back on sugar.  Tomorrow I am going to make Turducken (a duck stuffed inside a chicken, stuffed inside a turkey with corn bread stuffing)  and also these maple cookies.  I didn't have the traditional turkey meal while I was in NYC.  I had to eat all my favorite NYC food instead.  But this should be fun.
Orange Dark Chocolate Blossoms
3/4 cup butter softened
2/3 cup sugar or sugar substitute (splenda) or a blend of both
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg white
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
dark chocolate kisses
Cream butter and sugar together.  Mix in baking powder and salt.  Beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg white.  Then mix in the flour and orange peel.  It will be a dry mixture.  Form into 1 inch balls.  (if the mix won't stick together add a little juice from the orange)  Place on cookie sheet and cook in oven at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes.  I like them soft so 7 minutes is good for me.  When they start getting brown they get to crunchy.  Remove from oven and immediately press a dark chocolate kiss into each cookie.  Let them cool on wire rack.  Makes about 30- 40 cookies depending on size.

1 comment:

  1. We just had Thanksging Dinner Round 2 tonight for a friend who's husband hasn't moved here yet and she was on the road with the NDSU team on the actual holiday. It was fun but doesn't sound half as neat as a Turducken. We're totally jealous! You crack me up. Love it!

    ReplyDelete