SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Ninth Day Christmas Celebration

“True happiness comes only by making others happy—the practical application of the Savior’s doctrine of losing one’s life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.
“It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring ‘peace on earth,’ because it means—good will toward all men” (David O. McKay, Gospel Ideals, 1953, 551).

Give the gift of yourself to your family and loved ones. Spend the day doing kind things for your parents and siblings. You could cook breakfast for your family, clean up, prepare a gift using your talents or help to prepare dinner. 
My mom asked me the other day for my “Christmas list” so to speak.  As I thought about that, don’t we all really have so much already?  I couldn’t think of anything to tell her but I told her that the gifts I have loved the most are the ones she has made for me.  I still have a set of pillow cases that she embroidered for me and I keep them on the pillows on my bed at all times.  Then I remembered a crocheted afgan that my sister made for me and I use it constantly every winter.  I have CD’s that other family members have made for me of songs they loved and I still play them,  There are so many more that I cherish from years past.  So today I am celebrating by thinking of all the personal gifts people have made for me and that I cherish to this day. 
            I remember as a little kid, that my mom and dad encouraged us to make things to give as gifts.  My mom made cookies and chocolates, my dad built things, we used to wrap metal hangers in yarn or stick cloves in oranges to hang on the trees as gifts.  These are the kinds of things I remember and I have loved making gifts for my family as well.  When they are made rather than purchased, it sometimes means even more because it is a part of yourself.  That is the best gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment