SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Eleventh Day Christmas Celebration

Sunday was one of those days where it is snowing outside and you want to just curl up with a good book, wrap yourself in blankets (or in my houses, quite a few blankets), sip your cup of hot cocoa, and watch the snow fall.  But there were things to do.  I spoke in Church today and needed to finish my talk.  I thought I had it pretty well prepared and just needed to go over it once again.  I was given the opportunity to choose my topic to speak on and I felt to speak about testimony.  I felt good about it.  I tried to speak with the spirit and really wanted it to be inspirational to those that were listening. 
Afterwards, and I don’t know why I do this, but I critique myself and then proceed to feel badly that I forgot to mention certain things or that I didn’t speak as clearly as I thought I should, etc.  Why, why do I do that?  I hope people just remember what they felt from the spirit and not my words.  There were a few people who came up after and thanked me for the things I said.  That was nice.  It is always good to hear those kinds of things and I am thankful for the people who take time to do that. 
One of them that came and shook my hand was Elder M. Russell Ballard.  He had been sitting on the stand that day and took the time to come over and comment on my talk.  I thought of how merciful our Heavenly Father is and that we are so hard on ourselves sometimes and yet He is more merciful than we can imagine.  Although, having Elder Ballard on the stand behind me made me nervous, it was still quite an experience.  It was funny to be using a quote from him in my talk and yet he was right there.  I doubt I will ever have that experience again.  What kind men the Apostles are.      
I cooked my turducken today.  The fat from the duck stuffed inside the chicken with a little cornbread stuffing and then stuffed inside of the turkey makes everything really tender and not dry at all.  It was not so easy to put together but I don’t do it that often.  Then I also made these maple cookies.  They had a frosting on them like you find on maple bars (those doughnuts).  Not too much maple, but just enough to make you want more.  They are really good.  Here is the recipe below. 
Soft Maple Cookies
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
maple icing
Combine shortening and butter and mix for 30 seconds.  Add sugars, maple syrup, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.  Beat to combine.  Beat in egg yolks and vanilla next.  Beat in flour and stir till completely combines.  You might want to use a wooden spoon for this.  Shape into balls 1 inch in size.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 12-14 minutes at 300 degrees.  Cool on cookie sheet.  The middle of the cookie will dip as cookies cool. Frost with maple Icing. 
Maple Icing - stir 1/4 cup whipping cream, 1/4 cup melted butter, 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup into a bowl.  Add 3-4 cups of powdered sugar to make icing a drizzling consistency.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome and a little scary! ;) Such a neat experience. And I LOVE Maple icing! YUMMMMMY! I want some!

    ReplyDelete