SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Friday, November 19, 2010

The Second Day Christmas Celebration

“Christmas means ‘giving,’ and the gift without the giver is bare. Give of yourselves; give of your substance; give of your heart and mind. …
“Christmas means ‘compassion and love’ and, most of all ‘forgiveness’ … How poor indeed would be our lives without the influence of His teachings and His matchless example. …
“He whose birth we commemorate this season is more than the symbol of a holiday. He is the Son of God, … the Redeemer of mankind, the King of Kings, the Prince of Peace” (Gordon B. Hinckley, BYU Speeches, 14 Dec. 1960, 3–6).
This quote reminds me of one reason I love this season.  I love it because people are so much more concerned with others than with themselves.  People want to give and to share most often with no thought for themselves. I know people who do secret things for others in thier neighborhood during this time of year, like giving poinsettas to those who would be alone for the holidays.  No one really notices these types of acts but it has a profound effect on both the receiver and the giver.  My life has been blessed by occassionaly being privy to these secret acts of service and it inspires me to be a better individual.  I am thankful for givers.  Most of all I am thankful to a Heavenly Father who gave His Son and who gives to me more than I deserve.
"How silently, how silently, The wonderous gift is giv'n! So God imparts to human hearts The blessings of His heav'n. No ear may hear his coming; but in this world of sin, Where meek souls will receive Him, still the dear Christ enters in."
I tried to make peanut butter cups today but they turned out to not be a creamy as I wished they were.  I'll get it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment