SLC temple at Christmas

SLC temple at Christmas
The Nativity and the Temple- what a great connection

Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Eight Day Christmas Celebration

New York for Thanksgiving is the best.  I arrived early this morning and got downtown just in time to go to Starbucks for some steamed milk and then find a place to stand for the parade.  Yes, they stand, about 10 people deep for the parade.  But I finally found a good spot and actually had a good view of it all. 
It was good weather as well, about 40 degrees.  It didn’t start to rain until after the parade, but I wouldn’t have cared.  As I was walking around after it was over, I saw this sign posted in the window and I thought, that is what I am really trying to do with my holiday, make it my own. 
We all have different things that make us happy or help us enjoy life.  Finding ways we love to celebrate Christmas is what it is all about.  Traditions are good but sometimes, just doing them for the sake of doing them, isn’t as fulfilling.  I think taking time to evaluate traditions and determining if it is really the way you want to spend your efforts to celebrate should be the determining factor.  To me, sometimes holiday’s lose their meaning if we are just going through the motions because it is just what we have always done.  Then the holidays just become more haggard and less joyful. 
“The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people and things. To catch the real meaning of the spirit of Christmas, we need only to drop the last syllable and it becomes the Spirit of Christ” (Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, Dec. 1995, 2).
So I am going to sing Silent Night today, not only because it is tradition, but because I enjoy the message of that song.  I am also going to go see the Radio City Rockettes.  I saw them on my trip to NYC, but I can’t miss the opportunity to see them here in SLC.  Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I'm glad you got to go to NY. When all my girls get older, we'll have to join you! ;)

    ReplyDelete